Saturday, January 23, 2016

First lines in the dying days of January

So my friend Loren Rhoads tagged me. She recently wrote a blog that included the first lines of everything she is working on now. Whoa, she is way amore ambitious than me!  Go take a look. But anyway, she tagged the rest of us to do that same. So, here goes my stuff:

The book I'm revising about a rock and roll band in 1983 and a psychic vampire is called The Black Light: Trace stands in the wings backstage at the Refugee Club, a narrow shadow.

So, then there's the short story about same psychic vampire's youth, called Knives: I light a fresh cigarette off the butt of the dying one before crushing it into the tray set in the door of the car.

And of course there's The Night Was Not, which is the NeoVictorian third gender romance that I'm stuck in the middle of: Kerry Hazard slid into the pilot's seat of the Starshine as he toggled the print switch on the com console. 
Yep. There you have it. Or at least there you have some of it. I'm not a very fast writer, and some of these things I've  been working on for quite a while. I'm trying to write more every day, and faster too. I'll never be one of those writers who can write ten thousand words a day. But  I think I'm ready to get to the ends of at least these things. Wish me luck.

So, I'll ask the question of the other writers I know: What are your first lines? 

2 comments:

  1. I follow Loren's blog and found yours via hers. My writing projects are mainly my blog posts but I do have a piece of fiction that I have been trying to finish for a long time. It will be a long story or a very short novel. It is titled "Tales of the Blue Indigo." The first line is: "Joe T. suspected that the old man brought him along on the ride just to open and close the gates...then he saw the snake." There is a murder but I have not figured out who the killer is. All the best to you this year with your writing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, that sounds like fun! Now I must know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete