Wednesday, January 2, 2013

One of those End of the Year posts

I don't really know what to say about this last year. I spent it buried, the same way I'll spend this year, I expect. I didn't have a lot of writing sales last year, and by not a lot, I mean none. That's the danger of writing novels, isn't it?

I'm about 80 pages from the end of The Night Was Not, and that makes me feel....  I don't know how it makes me feel. Exhilarated. frightened and tired, in turns. Much like the characters in that book, I've been standing on this ledge for a while, and I can't decide what the next move will be. Like the main character, I know what I want to happen, but also like Kerry, I'm frightened that what I want and what is to be aren't the same things.

But the end is coming, I can feel it in every word.

As for the other big project I worked on last year, Iron Moon, well, the end is not so near on that one. The lesson I learned with Nano was that I simply need to let those characters live in my head a while longer before I'm comfortable enough to trust them with the story. I spent too much time trying to make them do what I wanted last year. I decided that the only reason I wrote so slowly was that I was slow. Now I realize that there's more to it than that. Oh, yes, I'm still working on the serial to put on th blog, and no, I don't trust the circumstances of my life enough to simply post the first part without having written to the end. Sorry. But soon. 

Really, the new year came in just the nick of time for me. This is the year of finishing, I'm sure of it.
m

3 comments:

  1. I like this post. Especially the part about finishing. There are good things to come for us in 2013. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post, Mart. I can relate to a ton of it. Keep writing! Thank you for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gerald. And Kacey, yes, good things.

    ReplyDelete